WE ARE LOOKING FOR AN OUTREACH OFFICER!
The Kingston Upon Thames Association for the Blind (KAB) has been providing services and activities for blind and partially sighted people of all ages since 1966. KAB works to build the confidence and empower people living with sight loss to live fulfilled lives. There are an estimated 5,000 residents living with some degree of visual impairment in Kingston. KAB aims to reach all residents who need our support, so no one is left struggling alone.
Post: Outreach Officer
Responsible to: The CEO
Main Location: KAB office Kingston Quaker Centre and out in the community
Weekly Hours: 28 hours per week – Part-time fixed term 3 years
Yearly salary: £27,000 - £30,000 pro rata depending on experience
Pension: 5% Employer’s contribution
The Outreach Officer’s main role will be to increase the diversity and grow the membership, to reach more people of all ages living with sight loss.
- To engage with diverse communities.
- To develop activities and services to meet our member’s needs.
- To work to support the values of KAB: to promote the respect of members, recognising their skills, entitlement to choose independently, dignity and independence.
- To develop referral pathways through liaising and creating
partnerships with local and national organisations.
- To conduct personal assessments of members in their homes or out in the community to understand their needs.
- To monitor the impact and keep records of the progress of members using KAB’s services.
- To attend and run events in the community to promote and raise awareness of KAB to reach more people living with sight loss and potential volunteers.
- To support Lead volunteers delivering activities in the community.
- To support our outreach project - the Eye Buddy Scheme.
- To support new member’s, integrate with existing activities as well as assisting during trips and attending events.
- To monitor and keep documents up to date and follow procedures to collect data and feedback.
- To contribute to the general communication and promotion of the KAB newsletter, website, and social media.
- To provide support to the KAB Team and the general running of the KAB office.
- Any other reasonable tasks as directed by the CEO.
We are looking for an individual with initiative and a creative and positive approach to problem solving, a good team player with a commitment to personal development.
Good standard of general education – A ‘Level or equivalent.
Previous database and administration experience.
Able to meet deadlines.
Good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Ability to collect and process information and produce reports.
Ability to work on own initiative and develop processes.
Good written and verbal communication skills.
Experience of the voluntary sector.
Ideally with knowledge of Kingston Upon Thames.
Experience of working in an outreach setting desirable.
Understanding the impact of visual impairment on an individuals’ daily life and their health/wellbeing desirable.
A positive, enthusiastic person, a good team player.
Must have integrity, empathy and be a caring person.
Knowledge of and commitment to equal opportunities.
Understanding of confidentiality and professional boundaries.
Candidate must also be prepared to work some evenings and weekends.
Candidate must be able to work around guide dogs.
Note: This general Job Description and Personal Specification is not
an exhaustive document and reflects the current situation. Details may change in consultation with the staff member in line with the need and development of the services provided by KAB.
If you feel you have the skills and experience to be successful in this role, please apply by using the job application form below and a covering letter to: email@example.com
Job application form link: https://bit.ly/491YRPE
Application closing date: Monday 08th March 5pm
Face to face interviews and test: Thursday 21st March 2024
Appointment and start: April/May 2024
(subject to satisfactory references and DBS)
This role will be working around vulnerable children and adults and is subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service.
Volunteer for us and make a difference to the quality of life for our blind and or partially sighted clients. We have various volunteer positions available, please follow the link to our volunteering page for full details: kingstonassociationforblind.org/volunteering.